To cap off the week of celebration, I give you a delicious take on these gluten-free vanilla cupcakes with chocolate buttercream icing.
With purple sprinkles, no less.
I added three tablespoons of cocoa powder to the original recipe and voila! Out came these incredibly rich, indulgent and moist cupcakes – especially the ones that I undercooked just a teensy bit. They are perfectly delightful with the cream cheese icing – as if anyone ever needed to find an excuse to make cream cheese icing.
I hope that you’ve enjoyed Purple House Cafe: Year One as much as I have. I hope you’ve found yourself experimenting with new and different flavours and concepts in the kitchen, thinking about the stories behind your food, and nurturing those you love by cooking for them. That’s definitely what it’s all about for me.
- 1 1/2 cups butter, at room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4-6 cups powdered sugar
- 2-4 tablespoons heavy cream
- Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the butter and mix until fully incorporated. Beat in the vanilla and salt.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar, using a small amount at a time and continuing to beat until you achieve your desired consistency. Stir in as much cream and compensate with a little extra icing sugar as needed to ensure your icing is as thick and creamy as you wish.
- Spread on your favourite cupcakes and enjoy!