Every so often I come up with a new recipe that makes my heart go pitter pat.
Then sometimes (hopefully more often than not) that recipe comes to fruition and makes someone else’s heart go pitter pat (in the good way, not in the I-just-ate-a-huge-poutine-and-may-go-into-immediate-cardiac-arrest way).
This recipe for bananas foster cupcakes is one of those kinds of recipes. I made them a few weeks ago and have been meaning to share…and what better occasion than during the Halifax Food Bloggers June blogging challenge – entitled SWEET!, and featuring sweet recipes from local bloggers.
I based this recipe on a rum cake recipe that is a specialty of my mom’s. It’s made with a boxed cake mix, but let’s just get over that for a minute and talk about how this cake is so saturated with rum that it feels inappropriate to consume at work functions. I made these cupcakes for a work function. I like making people feel awkward about potentially being drunk from a cupcake in the middle of a work day.
Adding banana to the cupcakes and topping them with caramel frosting makes them bananas foster cupcakes. They are, simply, out of this world. Extraplanetary impact factor, my friends.
- 1 package yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/2 cup rum
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup cream
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3-4 cups icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Beat all the ingredients together using electric beaters until well combined. Pour into muffin tin lined with cupcake liners. Bake 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the sugar and cream, and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Add the salt and bring the mixture to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes.
- Remove the caramel mixture from the heat and allow to cool slightly at room temperature. Transfer the caramel to a large bowl and begin to mix in icing sugar, one cup at a time, until you reach the desired consistency.
4 comments on “SWEET! Bananas Foster Cupcakes OR…cupcakes for grownups”
I don’t even like bananas, and I want these in my tummy!
And, secretly, I don’t like bananas either. Well, actually, I LOVE banana flavour, but I hate eating bananas.
Note to self: one will not find banana or raisin recipes on movita beaucoup’s blog.
I guess I’m a noob when it comes to making frosting….but what kind if cream are we talking about for this recipe for frosting?
Heavy cream/whipping cream will work!
Comments are closed.